Fluoride – Importance of fluoride for strong tooth enamel
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that is safe and effective in preventing tooth decay.
Here are three key actions you can take to get your fluoride:
- Fluoride toothpaste: Brush 2 times a day with pea size amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Water fluoridation: Drink water, especially tap water with fluoride.
Water with fluoride is the easy, inexpensive and healthy choice for your teeth and body.
Non-fluoridated public tap water
Within Solano County, the cities of Suisun City, Rio Vista, and Dixon do not have fluoride added to the public tap water. All other cities within the County do have fluoridated water. If you live in one of the non-fluoridated cities, please make sure you and your family have the protection that fluoride can provide for your teeth: ask your local grocer for bottled water with fluoride, or as an alternative, you can ask your dentist for a prescription for fluoride tablets or drops for you or your child.
- Talk to your dentist or doctor about fluoride varnish treatments. [Please note: Both children and adults benefit from fluoride varnish treatments whether or not your tap water is fluoridated.]
3) Tooth Brushing & Flossing – how to guide, pictures, videos
Daily plaque removal by brushing and flossing and choosing fresh vegetables and fruits for snacks will help reduce tooth decay (cavities) and gum disease (bleeding gums). Thank you for helping your child keep a healthy smile!
- Always use a soft toothbrush.
- Brush in the same pattern each time.
- Use a gentle, circular motion.
- Brush the outside, inside, and biting surfaces of all your teeth.
- Remember to brush your tongue.
- Brush for 2-3 minutes, two times a day.
4) Decreasing Tobacco Use
Resources for Quitting:
BecomeAnEx Truth Initiative https://www.becomeanex.org/decide-to-quit/
My Life My Quit https://mylifemyquit.com/
N-O-T Not On Tobacco https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/helping-teens-quit/not-on-tobacco
Smoke Free teen https://teen.smokefree.gov/
Parent Resources: The Vape Talk https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/vape-talk
Kick it CA https://kickitca.org
5) Good nutrition
Eat healthy foods for healthy teeth. Drink water (especially tap water with fluoride). Avoid sugary drinks (juice, soda, carbonated drinks).