According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC,) you can improve your health and well-being by following some of the tips below:
- Make healthy food choices. A healthy eating plan emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products, includes lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts and is low in saturated fats, transfats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars.
- Be active to improve overall health. Try simple things such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Consider mall walking if the weather is cold or rainy. Be active for at least 2½ hours a week.
- Be smoke free. If you are ready to quit, you can call the California Smokers’ Helpline at 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887). You can also register for our “Kick the Butts” Smoking Cessation class here
- Get enough sleep. Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of chronic diseases and conditions—such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and depression.
- Learn how to lead a healthier lifestyle by signing up for our Healthier Living classes here.
Happy and Healthy 2017!